There have been people drinking homemade Fruit Enzyme (the stage before fruits turn into alcohol) in the Far East for a while, and the trend has just started in Hong Kong. Fruit Enzyme is supposed to be good for skin and health, as well as help improving the digestive system. However, there is no scientific evidence in this apart from it containing a high alcohol content, which I can confirm as whenever I unscrew the jar, a whiff of really fruity, fragrant alcohol hits my face.
The result was a bit alcoholic (as you drink it with ice and ice water) but tasted nothing like it. It's fragrant, sweet and really delicious! If all alcohol taste like this, I'll convert into an alcoholic! There is a limit though, you are only suppose to drink 30ml + ice and water a day, an hour before you eat.
I've made one with Golden Kiwi, and the fruit enzyme smelled just like Lychee. I'd definitely make this one again, but the next one I'm gonna try would be mixed berries, as the colour would be seductive!
To make your own, you'll need:
- 100% Fresh Fruit, washed, air dried and sliced
- 60% Rock Sugar (Can be bought from any local Chinese shop)
- Few slices of Lemon
- Sterilised Jar and Lid
- Knife and Chopping Board, both well cleaned and rinsed with hot water
1. Place all the fruit in the bottom of the jar, covered with one layer of sliced lemon. Then place all the rock sugar at the top.
2. Close the jar tightly and leave it in a shaded corner at room temperature. Each day you should shake it a bit and open the lid to release the alcohol, so the result won't be too bitter. It is advised to keep doing this until 2-3 weeks.
3. When it's ready, strain the liquid through a sieve. You can either discard the fibre, or blend it into puree and add it to the liquid. Store in the jar in the fridge and consume within a month.
4. Serve with ice or ice water
- If you are making a bigger jar, you should split it into 2 to 3 portions, and layer them as fruit, lemon, sugar, fruit lemon, sugar, making sure that the rock sugar is the last layer in the jar.
- Although they said it won't be ready until 2-3 weeks, it depends on how much you are making. I only made a small jar and by day 6 it was foaming crazily. So I decided that it's ready to drink.
- According to the rest, white waxy looking pieces is normal and will disappear in a few days, but throw it away if you start seeing green or black mould! I didn't see any mould in mine though
- Before you try this recipe, please do a search on Fruit Enzyme to understand what it really is, and consider the possibility of food poisoning, as you are fermenting fruit with your own equipment (a bit like making home-brewed alcohol) Just make sure that everything is rinsed with hot water, the jar is sterilised and kept clean, and every time you open it, you open it only for a short period of time without blowing bacteria into the jar.
- I would not recommend this to anyone who has bowel problems such as Diarrhea or IBS.
|Day 2 - Juicing|
|Day 3 - Dissolving|
|Day 6 - Foaming|
|Strained and ready to drink|