London 2012 official mascot Wenlock appeared in our house! He's 30cm tall, very cuddly, according to Abby, and he can stand on his own 2 feet too! Of course I'm talking about the quality plush made by the Golden Bears! He also brought with him a mini Wenlock that sits snugly on a 8-colour Olympic Pen to brighten up our life!
We haven't really checked out Wenlock or Mandeville, the other official mascot, closely, and I just realised that Wenlock has a tail after Abby pointed it out! I checked out Wenlock on the Internet and this is what I found out:
- The mascots have a Taxi light on top of their head, which was inspired by the London's Black Taxis.
- The head shape represents the 3 medals won in each event
- The friendship bands represents the 5 colour bands of the logo
- Apparently their eyes are a camera that lets them record everything
- Wenlock's name was inspired by Much Wenlock, a small town in Shropshire
- In 1890, Baron Pierre de Coubertin was invited to Much Weblock to watch the 'Much Wenlock Games', which comprised athletics and traditional country sports with a procession of flag bearers, competitors and officials.
- In 1894, de Coubertin's proposal to establish the ancient Greece event in a modern form was approved and the very first modern event were held in Athens 2 years later
- The mascots have their own website
We all love a story behind a product and this one is pretty good! So far the event has been impressive, and so is Wenlock!
Plush Wenlock is very much loved in this house, even Clay couldn't help himself. He picked up Wenlock who was taking a break from all the cuddling, held him while walking closer to the TV, and sat on the floor with Wenlock in his lap! If you love to take one home as well, visit Golden Bear's website (blue links above) for a wide range of London 2012 mascot merchandise. They are doing a sale too so get it before the sale is gone! The 30cm Wenlock was £19.99, now £14.99, and the 8-colour pen was £5.99 but now only £2.99! There are other products as well, what about the 80cm Wenlock plush??
Disclosure: We were sent a Wenlock plush and pen to review; all opinions are honest and my own