Good food is important to everyone – but it doesn’t have to cost a fortune to prepare. You can create far more interesting recipes than the standard meat and two veg and still have some loose change if you’re savvy in the kitchen and here we have three simple yet exotic recipes to start you off!
1. Zesty lemon chicken
Chicken dishes are an excellent option and if you’re on a budget then buying chicken thighs rather than breasts can also help the family finances. To make delicious zesty lemon chicken simply:
· Roast chicken in the oven for approximately 40 minutes, until crispy
· While the thighs are cooking, pour some yoghurt into a bowl, add crushed garlic, chilli flakes, lemon zest and juice, and some fresh herbs
· Once the meat is cooked just dip them into the tangy yoghurt and enjoy
2. Curry goat
If you fancy something spicy and exotic, then why not try one of the Caribbean’s classic dishes – curry goat! Using cheap cuts of meat and left to cook for 2.5 to 3 hours, it’s the perfect slow-cook option for busy families. To make:
· Blend onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and then fry gently with chillies, curry leaves, thyme and curry powder
· After 5 minutes, add mutton or goat and chopped tomatoes
· Place the lid on the casserole dish and leave to cook for 2.5-3 hours
3. Exotic fruit salad
The wonderful thing about fruit salads is that you can add any type of fruit or topping that you prefer and we love this exotic recipe:
· Cut the top off a pineapple and scrap out the soft flesh and place into a bowl, remove the flesh from a mango and other fruits of your choice
· Mix these together and pour over lime juice, you can add a small amount of rum or liquor if you want too
· Crush some sugar and mint leaves together and mix with some fresh yoghurt before pouring over the fruit
Learning how to cook
Budget recipes handed down through the generations are always popular and many people find that the recipes given to them by their parents are the best.
If you’re looking for inspiration for your latest dish or want to get back in the kitchen with your parents then you may want to check out the McCarthy and Stone twitter feed for food ideas. This retirement specialist publishes plenty of great content for their homeowners – including healthy and tasty recipes that can be shared with their nearest and dearest!
Disclosure: This guest post is brought to you by McCarthy and Stone